Monday, July 20, 2009

From Texas with Love: Part I

Ok I know. I have totally been slacking on my post lately. I spent the weekend in the state capitol. Austin is one of the MOST vegan friendly cities in the land of cattle. So if you are planning on heading deep to the heart of Texas these are some fabulous places to get a some first class eats. This is part I of my extended weekend in ATX.

Austin ,Texas: A food odyssey


The Jade Leaves Tea house


Located just a stones throw from the University of Texas the Jade Leaves Tea house is a great place to have lunch, dinner and to simply mull over a good book while sipping black tea. Jade Leaves has a wide selection of teas and your server can assist you in selecting one which will complement your meal. Vegan items are clearly noted on the menu.

My friend B and I shared the

Green Tea Egg Rolls
Jade Samosa Rolls ,The chutney accompanying the roll was awesome!
Yellow Curry
Green Rooibos Tea and Moroccan Mint

I had the Mango Acai sorbet while B selected the Raw Blueberry Almond Mousse for desert.

Bananarchy:Revolutionary Desserts

Those familiar with the show Arrested Development will chuckle a bit when they here the name Bananrchy. B and I had a frozen chocolate dipped banana rolled in walnuts. Vive le revolution!

The Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse

Bouldin is my hipster oasis in a world of slings and arrows. I make a consiocious effort to make at least one trip to Bouldin when I'm in town. If you love the nooch, aka nutritional yeast, order the Bouldin Creek Omelet, specify vegan. It is sublime when paired with a side of tomatoes and a potato cake.

Recommendations: Oatmeal sandwich cookies, Bananaberry smoothie and the Veggie Royal

No comments:

Post a Comment